[SLUG] 3 hard drives and a file system

From: Norbert Cartagena (gnorb@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Apr 06 2003 - 12:18:58 EDT

Hey guys;

Well, as you might remember from an earlier post, I'm building a new
system. This system is really intended for software testing, so what
I've decided to do is to incorporate 3 hard drives (A, B, C). Hard drive
A would be my "main" program hard drive, meant to hold general data and
software installations (this is where my OS would be installed). Drive B
is what I call a "beat up" drive - specifically meant for software
testing. The third hard drive, C, will be used for long term infromation
storage (ie. MP3's, OGG's, MPG's, DivX's, archived e-mail...).

Now, that we have that covered, let me give you the scenario: A and B
would both be swappable drives. That way, I can test all the OS's and
software I want to withough ruining my personal programs. C would also
be in a swappable chasis, but only extracted in cases where whatever I'm
testing mignt concievably destroy its contens. Essentially, no matter
what Hard Drive I use (A or B), all my "stuff" would still be available
to me (via C).

Now that this is over with, here is my question:

I'm wondering what file system I should make C. After all, in A I will
be installing both Linux and Windows (which I need for my job). I
preffer to have a journaled file system (prefferably ReiserFS), but from
what I've seen, it looks like FAT32 is about the only thing which is
commonly read between Windows and Linux. Is there a free or inexpensive
tool which I can use on Windows which will allow me to read a Journaled
Linux file system?

In case you're interested, here are the specs on the drives. All are
Western Digital drives. Both A and C are 40 gig drives (Linux/WIndows
will be 50/50 - games take alot of space), while drive B is simply a 10
gig drive to be used for software testing.

Thanks in advance. Any conversation which spawns off of this, in
addition to the answer, is greatly appreciated.

Gnorb