Re: [SLUG] RAID 0 on IDE

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 09:58:21 EDT

Well, for performance try RAID0(striping) for your
report repository and/or system. Or you could try out
mirroring for redundancy. Problems you'll come
across: RAID1(mirroring) offers redundancy but does
not do anything for corruption. If a report file gets
corrupt on the primary drive then the mirror will be
corrupt also.. think in terms of a server/client
relationship for mirroring. Striping is a nice
performance boost for high traffic files (report
repositories, databases, shared file archives, etc.).
With RAID1 you will be giving trading space (4 gig)
for that functionality.. with RAID0 you can use your
two drives for a total of 8gig striped(livin on the
edge, though) if one fails the whole archive is shot.

I'm relatively new to Linux also... having fun
learning though :)

Good Luck,
Rob