[SLUG] Multi Distros

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 08:24:38 EDT

I would like to install Redhat and Debian on my system and be able to
duel boot. So heres what/how I'm thinking this should work.
My Current system:
/dev/hdd2 4.8G 2.7G 1.9G 58% /
/dev/hda1 1002M 31M 920M 4% /boot
/dev/hdd1 38G 12G 24G 33% /data
/dev/hdd5 27G 7.9G 18G 31% /data2
/dev/hdd3 2.9G 2.5G 297M 90% /home
none 125M 0 124M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda4 1021M 0 1020M 0% /mnt/jaz1g.0

I'm thinking I could add another partition to /hda1 for the Debian boot
partition,since all I use that drive for is holding the booting. Maybe
call it debboot

Then take 4gigs away from hdd1 and use it for Debians root file system.
Both distros could share home, data and data2.

I would create the another partition on hdd and on hda. On hdd I would
have to do some resizeing. Using Partition Magic.

No the part I'm a little gray on.
I have RedHat on the system now. So to add Debian how do I do that.
RedHat is using grub as the boot loader. Should I just reinstall Redhat
and use Lilo? Or can I change RedHat to use Lilo or can Debian use Grub?

After creating the two additional partitions mentioned above. How do I
install Debian from CD? Do I just Boot the install and point to the
proper partitions? What do I do about booting between Redhat and Debina
Grub or Lilo?

My goal is to go 100% Debian but because of my last effort to install
Debian lasting 3 weeks without a working X I need to keep RedHat around.

I can find lots of web links on duel booting with the other OS but not
with a Linux - Linux setup.

Please help
Mike M.