Re: [SLUG] Multi Distros

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 09:03:03 EDT

> I would like to install Redhat and Debian on my system and be able to
> duel boot. So heres what/how I'm thinking this should work.
> My Current system:
> /dev/hdd2 4.8G 2.7G 1.9G 58% /
> /dev/hda1 1002M 31M 920M 4% /boot
> /dev/hdd1 38G 12G 24G 33% /data
> /dev/hdd5 27G 7.9G 18G 31% /data2
> /dev/hdd3 2.9G 2.5G 297M 90% /home
> none 125M 0 124M 0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda4 1021M 0 1020M 0% /mnt/jaz1g.0
>
> I'm thinking I could add another partition to /hda1 for the Debian boot
> partition,since all I use that drive for is holding the booting. Maybe
> call it debboot
>
> Then take 4gigs away from hdd1 and use it for Debians root file system.
> Both distros could share home, data and data2.
>
> I would create the another partition on hdd and on hda. On hdd I would
> have to do some resizeing. Using Partition Magic.
>
> No the part I'm a little gray on.
> I have RedHat on the system now. So to add Debian how do I do that.
> RedHat is using grub as the boot loader. Should I just reinstall Redhat
> and use Lilo? Or can I change RedHat to use Lilo or can Debian use Grub?

Debian can use grub - I use it as well. You should be able to add a section to /boot/grub/menu.lst (or wherever) where the kernel line looks like: "kernel /vmlinuz vga=normal root=/dev/hdd2 ro"

> After creating the two additional partitions mentioned above. How do I
> install Debian from CD? Do I just Boot the install and point to the
> proper partitions? What do I do about booting between Redhat and Debina
> Grub or Lilo?

You can boot the install and tell it where your partitions are. The installer will also ask where your packages are, and you can tell it CD, or you can tell it to grab the latest ones from the net. When it comes time to install the boot block, tell it to use the first sector of the partition, rather than the actual MBR. I would then (or first, if you know all the information in advance) edit your grub menu from the RH install to allow booting from the deb partition.