[SLUG] Speaking of Kernels...

From: Kenneth W Hansen (khansen46@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 15:50:55 EDT

When upgrading to a newer version of Linux, will the
Kernel upgrade, too, or just the packages?
Specifically, I was using Mandrake 9.0, and was real
happy with it. I downloaded 9.1, and gave the 9.0
discs to a friend. The install sucked. I've done it 3
different times, and all I get in my "start button"
(sorry for the terminology) is RUN COMMAND and LOG
OUT. Nothing else. No desktop icons, either. I can't
do anything with it.
So, I have a much older version of Mandrake (7.?), and
the 9.1. Can I install the older version, set it up,
then upgrade and get the newer kernel as well as save
my preferences and settings? (This will be my first
Linux "upgrade").
Thanks
Ken