Re: [SLUG] diff question

From: btt (btt@nethouse.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 07:21:20 EDT

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 06:42:18AM -0400, Mike Manchester wrote:
> I just finished upgrading to the latest release of multicd, a backup to
> cd program.
>
> During this process I took the output of diff, after comparing my old
> multicdrc file with the sample_multicdrc file from the new release. Then
> taking the differences and used them to create a sed script to update
> the sample_multicdrc with the changes from my old multicdrc.
>
> I was wondering is there a program or a process that will allow me to do
> this without createing a sed script? When I worked at IBM we could take
> the output of their difference program on the mainframe and feed than
> into another program and presto have the two files merged with all the
> changes. It basically created a sed script for you. I couldn't seem to
> find an option for diff that would create a sed script. Seems like it
> should be an option.

Hello.

The 'patch' program will use an output file from diff as a guide for
changing one file into another.

Also, the 'sdiff' program will take two similar files and display them
side-by-side. It'll stop when it encounters different lines and ask
you to choose which line you'd like to include in the final file.

HTH