Re: [SLUG] a simple cygwin question... I think.

From: Jared Quedens (jared_quedens@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 23:46:22 EDT

> Hang on...remember that postgres is client/server. You need to run the server
> for postgres on Cygwin, don't you? You would only need a client connect to
> the server from windows, and there is at least one postgres client that runs
> on Windows...Now, you also have to configure your /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf
> (or whatever the config file is called on your distro) to allow for a user to
> connect from a non-local machine...which I believe the windows part would be
> considered vs the cygwin side. (If I'm getting this part right -> that's how
> it works with Mac-On-Linux anyway)

 Cygwin is a port of open source tools for windows, it runs in a window kinda like vmware without
the need for a kernel, however i can mount and see all of my xp stuff, when I click on cygwin i
get a bash prompt. and im already logged in. Now heres the problem, Im already logged in as jared,
i cant su to postgres cause authentication fails.. Now as far as starting the daemon, i have to do
it manually as postgres? (The startup scripts are pretty simple in cygwin, but to auto start
postgres from my shell ill have to put a su postgres in the script and that fails) ive tried to
open another cygwin window and log in as postgres, but again how can i do that? I understand
postgres on a medium scale at least.. I have it running on my linux box without any problems
(Thats why i wanted to use it here) The postgres is running if I run everything as myself, but
like i said, I dont think thats wize... So i guess what im really trying to ask is how the heck do
you authenticate in cygwin? ive tried everyting from login, su, sudo, even telnet and ssh to local
host! and nothing seems to get me in.

Thanks again for all your help.. at least im seeing the problem in more detail.. and ya its
definately cygwin giving me hell!