Re: [SLUG] a simple cygwin question... I think.

From: Jared Quedens (jared_quedens@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 00:06:35 EDT

--- Ed Centanni <ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Cygwin is not intended to be a production or general use environment.
> It's a development environment for people who want to use friendly
> GNU-like developent tools to write a windows exe. User accounts are
> just not relevant and default to the current login on NT and I assume
> the same for XP. Postgres checks the user account and refuses to run if
> it is not what it's expecting. See if there is a cygwin port of it at
> the cygwin site that disables this important security feature.
>
> I know you can use Apache in Cygwin but you need to use the cygwin
> server start utilities to start it as a service. You *may* be able to
> start Postgresql via these utilites. If you wish, contact me off list
> and I'll give you my cygwin apache startup script. Be advised that the
> cygwin port of Apache is NOT secure and should not be exposed to the
> wild. IMHO, no windows machine should expose a service to the internet
> regardless of what it's running.
>
> TCL-TK works just fine in Cygwin.
>
> If you can't get Postgresql going then look at sqlite (www.sqlite.org).
> I know it works under cygwin with a 2 line tweak to it's os.h
> header. It's quite fast, powerful and simple to use AND it has TCL
> bindings build in -- probably a better choice for what you're wanting to
> do. In fact, the regression tests are done using TCL. If you go this
> route contact me and I'll give you the patched header.
>
> Ed.

Thanx Ed!..
Im actually trying to use it for developement of my poor TCL skills :-). I dont really want to
test my scripts on a production machine. I also dont wanna crash my XP box either.. Thats why im
conserned about running it as a super user. I have installed apache and it rocks on the machine..
so I figured that was easy.. so why not add postgres... Ive been starting apache with
apahectl..and that works..but i will look into the cygwin start utilities. As for the sqlite my
intention is to try to wright the scripts for postgres using the tcl postgres package along with
the tcl-cgi stuff. Ive used all these things in the past and it worked fine and suprizingly good..
Im just tired of having reboot into linux to tweak and test somthing. Thanx again for your help!