[SLUG] UserMode Linux

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 17:46:32 EDT

Has anyone here used UserMode Linux before? I'm trying to setup a
virtual machine to host my web site in the event that the main, physical
box goes down. So far I've been experimenting with some VMWare options,
but I've been having lots of difficulty with later versions of Linux
(RH9, Mandrake 9.1).

The main goal is to be able to have a drop in replacement for the
physical box. As it is now, I have a DSL router port forwarding http
requests to a private IP. If the server goes down I would like to start
the UML instance on my desktop workstation until I can rebuild the
server.

I've almost gotten it working in VMWare, but there are a few problems:
E.g.: RedHat 9 installation went fine but ran into SIMD errors on the
initial kernel boot. I was able to get around these by rebuilding a
kernel without athlon/SIMD specific optimizations and checks. OpenSSL
also had major problems and I needed to replace the i686 package with an
i386 version. Apache wouldn't start for an unknown reason.

--
Kwan Lowe <kwan@digitalhermit.com>