Re: [SLUG] UserMode Linux

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 13:50:37 EDT

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 13:05, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> Ian:
> Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Glad to help!

> > ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
> > ifconfig tun0 0.0.0.0
> > brctl addbr br0
> > brctl addif br0 eth0
> > brctl addif br0 tun0
>
> Interesting... This is similar to what I'm doing in VMWare at the
> moment. It picks up a DHCP provided address but is having trouble at the
> TCP level.

Yep, it's what I do at the office and at home as well. Instead of dedicating a
PC for testing my Win2k pro/server autobuild environment (from a UML image
with samba and DHCP), I use a VMWare image instead. I usually end up with a
VMWare image floating around all day for the occasional Lotus Notes admin
task or neccesary IE6 web browsing on broken sites. On the same box, however,
I also run a half dozen development UML virtual servers - including a full
LVS development testbed (4 images).

One box. A dozen development servers. It's slick stuff. I'll never go back.

> > The "easiest" way to make a UML Mandrake 9 image would be to use
> > UMLBuilder:
>
> OK, just finished downloading the RPM set. I haven't gotten a prompt yet
> but I think I'm close.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing more about what you're using UML for at NKS
> if you can speak about it.

I gave a presentation on UML a couple of months ago at a Tampa SLUG meeting.
At that time, I also promised to put some of it up on
http://training.blenke.com. Sadly, I haven't found the time yet.

> > Gah, I still need to *make time* to finish the damn recorded UML VNC
> > session guides. So many things to do, so little free time.

This was a reference to that SLUG presentation.
And, no, I really haven't forgotten. Honest.

NKS extensively uses UML internally as part of our (now quite huge) server
farm.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)