Re: [SLUG] Linux TS guru's

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 14:04:55 EDT

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 01:01, cpace@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> I've been playing with Linux Terminal server recently and Knoppix seems to
> have a very neat version installed with the new 3.2 rev. It will allow you
> to PXE boot a system and pull down a full linux session off the Knoppix CD
> which is hella-cool. I was wondering how would I do the same thing from
> within a booted Windows OS. In other words I have, for example, Windows
> 2000 up and running and I want to boot up a session off of the Terminal
> Server from within Windows. Is there a client I would need. I know I can
> get a Xserver for Windows and do it that way but to my understanding, the
> Linux TS functions a little differently and X over the network is kinda
> slow and bandwidth intensive. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried using Cygwin's XFree86 server with "X :0 -query your_server" to
pull up a fullscreen XDMCP session on your Windows box?

Linux Terminal server is nothing more than X11 over the network.

The "Terminal Server" bit is the DHCP/PXE/tftp netbooting of a "managed"
thin-client display node.

Sure, you can use tight VNC instead of raw X11 network traffic, and you can
even hack up a thin-client to run an SVGA native VNC client instead of a full
X11 server to do that. There are even ways of lightening up that X11 network
traffic (dxcp, etc), but "Linux Terminal Server" by default does none of this
AFAIK.

Grab the Cygwin port of XFree86 and try the above suggestion on your Windows
box. You will get the same effect.

        http://www.cygwin.com

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>