Re: [SLUG] Filesystems

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 13:44:09 EDT

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 13:12, Andrew M Hoerter wrote:
> On Tue, 29 April 2003 A.D., Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> > IBM's JFS support in Linux is actually derived from their OS/2 port of
> > JFS, not from the older pure AIX grandparent version.
>
> That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Know what the differences are?

Offhand, no. They're pretty up front about it. I'm not entirely sure of the
shortcomings.

> I've had limited experience with AIX but never ran into any problems with
> the filesystem. Once you get past the very IBM-esque storage management
> system, that is...

AIX lv is actually very similar to lvm under Linux. Outside of that, yeah,
I've never really had AIX filesystem problems either.

> In their continuing quest to one-up Veritas, Sun introduced journaling into
> Solaris UFS starting in Solaris 7, but it doesn't support logging on a
> separate disk (DiskSuite does though, if I remember rightly). Works pretty
> well aside from that, and lots of Sun customers stopped buying VxFS; all
> they wanted was a fast fsck.

VxFS has some other bits that are somewhat useful, particularly in a
shared-storage SAN type of environment. How I could have used Solaris UFS
logging back in the 2.5 days where a system crash or power hiccup was *sure*
to take out your /etc/passwd file in the process.

DiskSuite is really akin to Linux' md software RAID - you can put the metadata
replicas wherever you want fairly easily however.

I really can't wait until Linux post 2.5.x works back in EVMS support - there
are some very slick things going on there. If you get a chance, play around
with EVMS a bit, it's a really nice suprise.

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)