Re: [SLUG] Filesystems

From: Prasun Gupta (pgupta@ringling.edu)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 14:05:36 EDT

Hello All,

I am interested in using linux for file servers, in a university environment.

We are currently using Solaris machines with fiber channel disks, and veritas volume manager. We
are currently using ufs file systems. We have about a 1500 users and it will increase.

I went through the file system discussions, and it seemed to me that xfs would be the most
appropriate.

Has anyone used a Linux based file server, which can serve 1000 of users or comparable
environment ??

I was actually thinking in terms of using Itanium based hardware, which is 64 bit. Beause of it, I was
thinking in terms of using Linux 64bit OS, but I am not sure how stable it is ?

Does anybody know if linux will have drivers for fiber channel disks ??

If anybody has suggestions for a different hardware setup, I would really appreciate it.

--
Prasun Gupta, Systems Analyst
Ringling School of Art and Design