Re: [SLUG] Memory unaccounted for?

From: bpreece1 (bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 01:15:41 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "btt" <btt@nethouse.com>
To: <slug@nks.net>
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Memory unaccounted for?

> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 11:56:28AM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 18:05, bpreece1 wrote:
> > > This could be because the mother board does not support double
> > > sided memory ! Thus is only seeing one side of the second module.
> > > Also some older motherboards are not designed to use a mix. Again
> > > SOME motherboards.
> >
> > That's the first thing I thought of, too. We've run into a few
> > goofy mobos that will only use single-sided dimms. Very strange...
> >
> > And that's assuming the mobo even supports 256MB chips. It may be
> > old enough that it will only support up to a 128MB chip. Can you
> > confirm that it's supposed to be able to support 256MB ram modules?
>
> Hmmmm.. Thanks for the tips. I've tried the 128MB alone and the 256MB
> alone and they both worked. I am pretty sure that the 256 is a 2-sided
> chip, as for the 128... I can't remember.
>
> The MB can't be that old. Only a couple of years. It's a celeron
> 866. Heck... I might just go ahead any get another 256MB and try to
> pair them up and see if that works. They're pretty cheap these days.

I would first try the bios update! also check the motherboards manufacture
see if they have an online pdf manual ! The problem if you buy more ram can
be
It may not mix and match pc133 and pc100 chips which some older boards will
not
like it two well. Next single sided or double sided is there only certain
banks you can put a dual vs a single.
Next Derek also mentioned something if it is a two bank will it only go to
128 or 256 meg?

Again check motherboard site and look for the board and see.
Surfing for 15 minutes is cheaper then buying ram !

Good Luck
Bill Preece