Re: [SLUG] Floppy Drive woes - more info

From: jeff (jdavis70@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 15:00:23 EDT

Russ Wright wrote:

>vfat is a module I confirmed it
>
>Okay tried the # mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
>
>and the drive mounted. I changed directory to /mnt/floppy
>However when I attempt:
>#cp /mnt/floppy/readme.txt /home/rwright
>
>It starts copying (makes the floppy noises) then I get:
>
>cp: reading 'readme.txt': Input/output error
>

>* I confirmed it is a good disk I tried the same commands on my linux
>box and it works fine.
>
>* I also tried the copy command using a dos boot disk and it will copy
>just fine after booting to dos.
>
>Any ideas??

 This is looking an awful lot like the problem some of the Thinkpads had
with the floppy. On the "afflicted" (for lack of a better term) models,
one had to specify a switch at boot to have a working floppy. It was
something to the effect of "floppy=thinkpad" on those models. Maybe
there is a similar issue/solution with the Toshiba?

  Jeff