Re: [SLUG] 15" Flat Panel Displays for Linux

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 16:11:43 EDT

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 15:46, tlboyles1@att.net wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with or suggestions on which LCD flat panel
> displays (new) will work with Linux? Suse Linux 8.1 has some in their monitor
> driver list but none for the current models you see in stores. Are LCD flat
> panels as forgiving as regular CRT monitors, where typically if you just swap a
> monitor, it may display fine without changing the system settings to the
> specific monitor you just plugged in? Thanks in advance for any
> suggestions..... Tim

I've used a couple of Flat Panels with Linux. I usually locate the specs
for the LCD -- Horzontal Sync and Vertical Refresh, max resolution, etc.
from the manufacturers website and manually edit my /etc/X11/XFConfig-4.
I personally would not just switch to a flat panel before changing the
monitor config in the XFConfig-4 file, because of the (albeit small)
chance of overloading the display with an improper config.

Here is an excerpt from an XFConfig-4 configured for a Samsung 770TFT:

    Section "Monitor"
            Identifier "Monitor0"
            VendorName "SAMSUNG"
            ModelName "SAMSUNG 770TFT"
            HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
            VertRefresh 56.0 - 85.0
    EndSection

--

Matt Miller Systems Administrator MP TotalCare gpg public key id: 08BC7B06

-- Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. -- Nietzsche