Re: [SLUG] Insert mode testing

From: Timothy L. Jones (tim@timjones.com)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 12:02:01 EDT

After experimenting with Kate and Kwrite simultaneously, I have confirmed my
belief that there is no global INSERT mode for the entire console, X session
or desktop session. Apparently, applications that implement such a feature
simply have their own bit, and code that toggles it upon receiving the
keycode for the INSERT key. The states are independent of each other, and
some programs don't seem to bother with an insert state at all (konsole and
kmail).

I would guess that most applications don't expose this state programmatically.
You might have limited success trying to read the portion of the screen
programmatically, although that would be easily defeated by some features
like Kate's split windows, wild fonts, or language preferences (my insert
state toggles between INS and SOB, not INS and OVR, because as I'm learning
Spanish, I have my entire KDE environment switched to Spanish, and am using
the US-Intl keyboard layout for the accents). Also there are some
applications that include text editor components but do NOT have
insert/overstrike at all (like kmail's message compose window).

Wish I had a better answer for you, but as for a programmatic way to test the
insert state, I'd say your chances of achieving this consistently AND
portably are slim to none, unless it is your OWN program, and you can access
the bit directly.

don't shoot, I am only the messenger!

tlj