Re: [SLUG] Insert mode testing

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 14:47:02 EDT

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 12:02:01PM -0400, Timothy L. Jones wrote:

> After experimenting with Kate and Kwrite simultaneously, I have confirmed my
> belief that there is no global INSERT mode for the entire console, X session
> or desktop session. Apparently, applications that implement such a feature
> simply have their own bit, and code that toggles it upon receiving the
> keycode for the INSERT key. The states are independent of each other, and
> some programs don't seem to bother with an insert state at all (konsole and
> kmail).

Well, I'm talking exclusively about the console here, not xterms or
anything like that. There is a program, setleds, that will _display_
what the states are, and it displays different results depending on the
console you're in. OTOH, if you shell out of Midnight Commander, it
doesn't work at all. But if setleds can detect/change the state, then
there should be some way to get at it. Unfortunately, without looking at
the code, I'd guess that it does it by poking a bit at some hardware
register and reading the result. And I'm also guessing that it reads the
state of the LEDs, not the actual "insert" state, which can sometimes
get to be different than the LEDs.

Paul