Re: [SLUG] ISO question.

From: Tony A. Lambley (tal@vextech.net)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 13:36:05 EDT

When you go to download the iso images, you'll generally find an MD5SUM
file in the same dir.

A redhat example can be seen at:

ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386

After saving these files, you would then do something like:

md5sum -c MD5SUM

The md5sum command will read the contents of the MD5SUM file and
generate the checksum for each of the listed files. This is then
compared to the ones listed in the MD5SUM file. The utility will tell
you if there's a problem with the integrity of the file(s). Any
problems, just re grab the erroneous file(s).

If you don't have cygwin installed on your doze box, you'll need to find
a tool or command for you OS. Sorry, can't help you on that one.

You can also generate an MD5SUM for a given file by:

md5sum your_file