Re: [SLUG] Debian apt-get solves dependancies what am I missing

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 08:55:05 EDT

> I always heard how wonderful apt-get was at resolving dependancies. But
> I'm not seeing that.
> I'm trying to do
> apt-get upgrade
> and I get the following message:
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
> amanda-server: Depends: amanda-common (= 1:2.4.3-1) but 1:2.4.4-1 is
> installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
>
> Why doesn't apt-get get the 1:2.4.4-1 version of amanda-common?
> Since I don't need amanda-server, can I remove amanda-common or not have
> apt-get upgrade the amanda server? Forcing something always make me
> nervious.

First, -f isn't force, it's "fix missing". The reason apt isn't
automagically fixing this is because it would be forcing you to downgrade
your version of amanda-common from 2.4.4 to 2.4.3. You will also
sometimes get this message when an apt operation has previously failed or
been killed before completion. Running `apt-get -f install` will fix
dependencies and complete any unfinished installation/upgrading that may
have been interrupted.

If you're having trouble with apt, there's a great GUI tool called
synaptic (I used to use gnome-apt, but synaptic is leaps && bounds ahead
of it now) that lets you perform various apt/dpkg operations in an
intuitive way.

Levi