Re: [SLUG] considering open sourcing my app

From: Robert Eanes (rheanes3@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 01:06:01 EDT

A couple thoughts. You might be able to get the best
of both worlds depending on your philosophical stance.

Trademark/copywright/patent what you need to define
the identity of you product.

Open the source code.

Worse that could happen is that someone steals the
idea, and creates their own product based on yours....

Ok, if they are successfull, and it becomes a
competitor then you have legal recourse becuase of
GPL/Trademark/copywright/patent. If not then you
product is the origonal, and the best.. and you use
that as advertising. Simple survival of the fitest
there.

As for the masses of users subimitting complains ( er
bug reports ), I always try to look at that as a
positive. It's better to know about those things and
have an interested user base than not know why your
product isn't be used and accepted. It can be
managed.