Re: [SLUG] IBM's answer to SCO's complaint

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 19:14:58 EDT

Doug Koobs wrote:

> Mozilla Quest has a long, interesting article about IBM's answer... It
> seems that IBM claims to not really have much knowledge of Linux...
>
> http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux03/ScoSource-12_Story01.html

Not exactly. IBM's lawyers wisely kept their traps shut since any
substantive response they might make at this point would only reveal
their defense strategy. My boy Michael Angelo (the long-bearded
character who runs MozillaQuest) may be unhappy because IBM isn't
telling him and the rest of the world everything it knows, but neither
would I in IBM's shoes.

Here's an amusing bit of repartee:

*Complaint*: 77. Related to the development of the open source software
development movement in the computing world, an organization was founded
by former MIT professor Richard Stallman entitled "GNU."

*Answer*/: /[IBM]/ /States that it is without sufficient information to
form a belief as to the truth of the averments of paragraph 77.

The reason it's amusing is that neither I nor -- I suspect -- anyone at
IBM knows anything about a former MIT professor named Richard Stallman
who had a hand in starting the GNU/FSF movement.

Maybe there was such a person, maybe not. I -- and many IBM employees --
know a guy named Richard M. Stallman who founded the Free Software
Foundation, but this Stallman was never a professor at MIT.

The SCO complaint contains many such innacuracies. Why should IBM
respond to them now, when they can use these false or misleading
statements to destroy SCO in front of a judge?

I am personally spending an average of zero hours per day worrying about
SCO's allegations.

- Robin