[SLUG] Re: Sarasota meeting Now: Roblimo Linux

From: Logan (logan1304@comcast.net)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 22:06:02 EDT

On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 21:06, Brad Smith wrote:
>On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 14:34, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
> > I will make this book short, pictorial, and unintimidating. And I'll
> > probably base it on the SuSE desktop office 8.2 version due out this
> > fall, which looks like it's going to be marvelous, with a little
> > discussion of other distros tossed in. The packages all work the same,
> > anyway. :)
>
> I'd be concerned about making the book distro specific. Even if it isn't really, if it _looks_
> distro specific, people might not go for it because they just got [insert other distro here]. Then
> again, I'm sure the SUSE people wouldn't mind helping you bundle it with CDs so it could be
> marketed as an all-in-one starter package for Linux newbies: "Linux for people with better things
> to do than learning Linux". =:)
<snip>
        Smells like a new distro to be conveniently and loving taped to the
back of Rob's new book: Point & Click Linux. The catch phrase could
be, "The Automagical Linux Install, Featuring Knomedewm" But, everyone
will call it, "Roblimo Linux," or at least I will. As a matter of fact,
I am already trade marking the name, "Roblimo Linux."
        I, by the way, am thinking about releasing my own distro, based on
Debian sid, (actually, an exact duplicate of Debian sid, with no
modifications what-so-ever, aside from changing every instance of
"Debian" in the binaries, to my distro's name) so I could, based on the
very name of the distro, reap profits from little or no work. It will
be called: "Usufruct Linux."
        Yep, too many Sam Adams this evening.

The Logan

BTW, I will be at Wednesday's Slug meeting in Sarasota. I will bring
the previously-in-the-thread-mentioned Monkey book; along with a 1998
copy of, "Linux Undercover," which is just, now old, man pages vomited
into a book; a 1995 copy of, "Running Linux" by Matt
'whom-I-have-much-respect-for-because-I-can't-believe-he-authored-it-totally-in-TEX' Welch (which was the only Linux book I could find back in 1995) and a book I purchased, just because it was authored by my favorite chef, and person I had the good fortune to meet and buy lunch for in Toronto, Marcel Gagne', "Linux System Administration: A User's Guide," for perusal by all. Someone else must bring the beer. Or we can adjourn to a bar, as the esteemed Mr. Miller has previously suggested.

--
21:20:01 up 300 days, 12:43, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.23, 0.16
You are destined to become the commandant of the fighting men of the