Re: [SLUG] Sarasota meeting agenda Wed. night

From: Brad Smith (brad_stephenssmith@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 21:06:34 EDT

> I will make this book short, pictorial, and unintimidating. And I'll
> probably base it on the SuSE desktop office 8.2 version due out this
> fall, which looks like it's going to be marvelous, with a little
> discussion of other distros tossed in. The packages all work the same,
> anyway. :)

I'd be concerned about making the book distro specific. Even if it isn't really, if it _looks_
distro specific, people might not go for it because they just got [insert other distro here]. Then
again, I'm sure the SUSE people wouldn't mind helping you bundle it with CDs so it could be
marketed as an all-in-one starter package for Linux newbies: "Linux for people with better things
to do than learning Linux". =:)

BTW, hello everybody! This is my first post to the list as my wife and I are just moving into the
Tampa area from California. We'll be showing up on the 2nd and subsequently scrambling for jobs,
housing, etc. Once things are settled, I hope to get to meet some of you at installfests and
whatnot and to generally make some contacts within the local geek* community. Until then, this is
just to let you know who the new stranger is. =:)

* = ...or is it 'nerd' in Florida parlance? There is a divide somewhere in the midwest where the
correct term changes over, but I've heard that some parts of the south are exempt.

--Brad Smith