Re: [SLUG] Re: Roblimo Linux

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 23:56:15 EDT

>After a moment of "Sam Adams" reflection, I will call it, "Roblimo Linux
>Professional!"

/me slaps Logan...

No, seriously, I think SuSE's latest is the most polished/easieast
desktop for end users. The book as currently envisioned will have
multiple CDs; Knoppix, SuSE and at least one other distro, plus trial
versions of Codeweavers and Win4Lin products.

90% of what I'll say is really cross-distro anyway; I mean, does someone
pointing/clicking really care that SuSE tosses most programs in /opt
instead of /usr? As long as you stay within your chosen distro, it
really doesn't matter. I'll point readers to various Web sites and other
books -- including "Running Linux," which was my first guide, too, if
they want to go deep. I'm just going to show them how to get up and
running and do normal stuff like send email, kill popups and spam in
Mozilla, and make a photo gallery. End user stuff. KISS (keep it simple,
stupid) is my goal. With lots of pictures, none of them showing Logan's
face.

As far as the bar Wed. night... every time a Slashdot Meetup comes up
when we're both in town, Logan and I vote for the bar but they end up at
Starbucks or Main Street Books. Sick. I assure you, Slashdot staff
meetings are held in bars more often than coffee joints.

- Robin