Re: [SLUG] Re: Roblimo Linux

From: bpreece1 (bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 10:25:02 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robin 'Roblimo' Miller" <robin@roblimo.com>
To: <slug@nks.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 9:42 AM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Re: Roblimo Linux

> >In what ways will your book be different than the fat manual SuSE
> >distributes with its boxed sets? May I recommend that you reserve a
> >chapter, or maybe an appendix, to sort out some of the various
> >distributions' idiosyncracies?
> >

> I'll focus primarily on one distro -- probably SuSE, as I said -- but
> will include basic instructions for at least two others, one of which
> will be Debian-based.

Perhaps Xandros for the Debian based? Reason I ask is cause of the
codeweavers Crossover works great so does the win4lin demo it has with it!

> > The mplayer docs, as
> >an example, are filled with video- and encoding-related terms that most
> >likely wouldn't be comprehended by some guy who just wants to play the
> >.asf clip that his third cousin emailed him. On the other hand, the user
> >guide at gnucash.org is beautifully written, with simple explanations of
> >concepts and oodles of screenshots.
> >

> The difference between what I'll produce and SuSE's manuals is that I'll
> get into package-specific info, all in the easiest possible terms,
> broken down by function, which is something the SuSE manuals don't do.
> I'll start with functions, since my target audience probably won't know
> what an mplayer or a gnucash is supposed to do, or what Windows packages
> they "replace."
>
> I'll spend more time/pages on mplayer instructions than on gnucash,
> since you're right: gnucash instructions are good, while mplayer docs
> are obscure by end user standards.
>
> My objective will be to help a new user get up and running with Linux,
> performing all basic computing/Internet functions, as quickly and easily
> as possible -- plus instructions on how to use Windows software they
> already own if there are no valid Linux alternatives.

Crossover and Win4lin. :) The ones packaged with Xandros rocks.

> We are also talking about videos, essentially Linux version of those
> "video professor" Windows training videos that are getting pushed hard
> during cheap TV time. This is where SuSE got into the picture. They're
> willing to finance and help market SuSE-specific videos, whether or not
> the videos tie directly to the books.

Great to hear that as well way to go "Robin" that should help Holger at
S.u.S.E. get their product some exposer on a level which would help them.

> Come to think of it, if any of you have professional video production
> experience or know someone else local who does (and will work cheap) we
> ought to talk. I'll script the videos so they're very easy to shoot and
> edit. A one-camera job, plus screenshots.

I may have a contact who can help with this, I will check and get back with
you on it later on today.