Re: [SLUG] Re: The potential of collaborative documentation (was: Roblimo Linux)

From: Brad Smith (brad_stephenssmith@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 19:46:14 EDT

--- Joseph <irisinc@tbi.net> wrote:
> Brad;
>
> You are right on with the exception of the fact that when a guy/girl gets a
> degree in computer science they forget how to speak common, everyday
> English. "Never use a common word when a much more arcane one will do".

That's exactly my point, though. I think there are a growing number of casual Linux users. People
who are not into geeking for it's own sake, but know their way around a system for some other,
usually work-related, purpose. For example, a secretary in Largo, where they replaced the
Windows/MS Office machines with Linux/OpenOffice (I think) thin clients, would probably be in a
better position to not only point out where the product needs to go to keep up with MS, but also
to document what works how in practical, plain english than most of the developers. It's these
people, not the techies, who SHOULD be writing the docs, at least for things like
office/productivity apps. The trick would be getting them involved and into the 'spirit' of such
work. Otherwise, why would the affore mentioned secretary use his/her precious evenings and
weekends to write documentation? Maybe once people start seeing their names attached to projects,
though, they'll start understanding why so many coders work for free. =:)

--Brad