Re: [SLUG] Re: Roblimo Linux

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 23:27:01 EDT

Joe Brandt wrote:
>>No, seriously, I think SuSE's latest is the most polished/easiest
>>desktop for end users.
>

> I will have to try it then, but it will have to be pretty user friendly
> to beat Mandrake 9.1.
>
> Is there a download site for SuSE?

SuSE does not provide downloadable iso image files for the Intel or PPC
platforms, but if you have a Sparc you're in luck. Some of the software
they've written to polish their distro is not GPL. They want you to buy
it so that those who wrote it can afford to do handy things like eat and
still work full-time on making a fine distro. They think it is worth
the price, and many others apparently agree. The personal edition
retails for about $40 and many people will tell you it is a bargain. It
is possible to install it by FTP without laying out any cash. It is
supposed to make a fully functional system, but will be missing some of
the non-GPL stuff that makes SuSE fans like it so much. There is a
"live eval" copy available too. It lets you burn a bootable CD and see
what it is like to run SuSE so you can decide if you want to buy it or
not. You can try linuxiso.org.
http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=2
And don't forget
http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/suse_linux/index.html
http://www.suse.com/us/index.html

Or, you could just wait and buy Roblimo's book. I'm betting there will
be a CD or two in a plastic holder inside the cover.