Re: [SLUG] Re: The potential of collaborative documentation

From: Brad Smith (brad_stephenssmith@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 00:01:42 EDT

> We have the publishing structure on Linux.com, but have no time/energy
> to use it as well as we should. If you want to write useful docs,
> instead of talking about it, I'll happily edit and publish them -
> licensed/copyrighted however you like. The point to me is to just put
> them out there in a searchable database, not to grab any kind of
> "'exclusive" rights to anything. Republish wherever you like. That's
> fine too.

First off, I appologize if I sounded like I was critiscising people (like you) who are actually
contributing to the state of Linux documentation. I was speaking entirely in the theoretical and
just sharing what I thought would be a helpful aproach, saying that I would like to try and
impliment it someday, given the time. Regarding VA's publishing situation, if it can serve as a
central repository for application-related docs with a focus more toward making it accesible than
developing a new XML schema, then more power to it! I'm glad you mentioned it because I for one
didn't even know such a thing existed and I'd rather help out an existing project than duplicate
effort. But it's all just talk for me anyway (for now). I don't have the time or, truthfully, the
expertise to write a publish-worthy tome on any particular subject any time soon. I'm just a
jack-of-all-trades gathering up information wherever I can and relating it verbally to others. =:)

> Actually, I'm basing the *first* edition on feedback from people who've
> heard my "6 basic Linux commands" stump speech (that I usually give in
> front of non-Linux audiences), plus what you and others are saying, plus
> I'll write an "Ask Slashdot" and/or NewsForge article to get an idea of
> what 15 or 20 programs I should concentrate on most heavily.

My suggestions (based on feedback I've gotten from students):

feature-for-feature comparisons of the competing implimentations of common types of software:

Gnome Office / Koffice / OpenOffice
Gnome / Kde
Mozilla / Phoenix / Konqueror
Nautilus / Konqueror
etc.

In other words: 'Which application should I choose for task X?'. I get asked that a lot and I've
never had a better answer than 'Well, just try them each and see which suits your tastes'. I doubt
there is a better answer than that, really, but being able to see the feature-sets side-by-side
and have an explanatory chapter on each would help a lot I'm sure.

Just my .02 for now.

--Brad