Re: [SLUG] Re: The potential of collaborative documentation (was:Roblimo Linux)

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 19:00:44 EDT

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 01:28:41PM -0400, SpamFree wrote:

<snip>

> Most recently I saw a request for help on SLUG with a floppy drive
> problem. It
> was responded to with a slew of, "try this other distro instead". This seems,
> to me, like a rather ridiculous extreme, to replace the entire distro for the
> sake of a single "minor" problem, no?

You get this kind of answer from people who 1) want to be helpful, 2)
can't answer the question directly, and 3) don't have the problem the
requester has. Unfortunately, weird problems like this will appear and
disappear from kernel to kernel and distro to distro. It's one of the
things we live with in the Linux community. The upside is that if this
was Windows and you had the problem, you'd have to wait for the next
service pack or OS version, and _hope_ they fixed it.

Paul