Re: [SLUG] sco/linux/unix IP

From: Kenneth W Hansen (khansen46@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 18:32:54 EDT

ok...I'm a little behind. Haven't been in my email for
a while.
I have a question: How long has Linux been around as
such?
Now, is the allegation that Linux is a RESULT of
"stolen code", or that Linux has (after inception)
been DEVELOPED with "stolen code"?

What I'm getting at is this (and I'm by no means an
expert in any kind of law):
There is a Statute of Limitations on nearly every kind
of legal action. If SCO chose not to act on this for
so long, don't they forfeit the right to bring legal
action now? And, since they've been in this market a
while, surely they knew.
As for who actually "owns" the code in Linux, doesn't
it default to whoever is in posession of it after a
period of time (kind of a "squatter's rights"), since
SCO has known it was there all along and chose not to
do anything about it before now?

http://www.sco.com/scosource/letter_to_linux_customers.html