Re: [SLUG] Re: The potential of collaborative documentation (was:Roblimo Linux)

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 18:55:39 EDT

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 12:34:29PM -0400, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:

<snip>

> I remember a guy we'll call 'Eric S. Raymond' who once flamed me
> mightily and at great length on a large, public email list for
> suggesting that most people might just want/need an easier word
> processing tool than emacs. This guy went on and on about how no one
> should ever complain about any open source or Linux failing or make any
> feature requests or bug reports, but we should all write our own
> software if we didn't like what he and other Heroes of Open Source
> offered freely, blah, blah, blah.

Much as I like Raymond, he's got a lot in common with Rick (Read The
Frickin' Manual, Moron) Moen, of SVLUG fame. Together they collaberated
on some diatribe a while back about the Right Way(tm) to ask questions
on mailing lists. Ugh.

The future of Linux is people who don't know much about computers, just
as was the future of Windows. (Unfortunately, my ability to help such
people lessens all the time, since I never ever use GUIs to admin a
Linux box. ;-)

Paul