Re: [SLUG] Re: The potential of collaborative documentation (was:Roblimo Linux)

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 12:34:29 EDT

>I don't recall ever having told anyone that s/he shouldn't use
>Linux, that s/he's too stupid to use Linux, or otherwise tried to exclude
>John or Jayne.

I assure you, the "You're too dumb to use Linux" attitude is still out
there, although it's not as virulent or widespread as it was 5 - 6 years
ago.

I remember a guy we'll call 'Eric S. Raymond' who once flamed me
mightily and at great length on a large, public email list for
suggesting that most people might just want/need an easier word
processing tool than emacs. This guy went on and on about how no one
should ever complain about any open source or Linux failing or make any
feature requests or bug reports, but we should all write our own
software if we didn't like what he and other Heroes of Open Source
offered freely, blah, blah, blah.

This guy's wife, a lawyer we'll call "Kathy Raymond," didn't start using
Linux until OpenOffice hit Build 641 and got fairly usable. She wasn't
going to mess with emacs, either.

But there's still a lot of developer arrogance out there -- just as
there are a lot of users who get nasty/accusing when asking for help or
filing bug reports instead of being helpful/constructive.

SLUG has an extraordinarily polite email list, BTW. It is not a
representative sample.

- Robin