Re: [SLUG] Re: The potential of collaborative documentation (was:Roblimo Linux)

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 13:17:55 EDT

> I assure you, the "You're too dumb to use Linux" attitude is still out
> there, although it's not as virulent or widespread as it was 5 - 6 years
> ago.
>
> I remember a guy we'll call 'Eric S. Raymond' who once flamed me
> mightily and at great length on a large, public email list for
> suggesting that most people might just want/need an easier word
> processing tool than emacs.

Isn't this why we have vim? :P

> This guy went on and on about how no one
> should ever complain about any open source or Linux failing or make any
> feature requests or bug reports, but we should all write our own
> software if we didn't like what he and other Heroes of Open Source
> offered freely, blah, blah, blah.

Maybe we should have action figures. Eric S. Raymond, Richard M.
Stallman, Alan Cox, collect them all! Now with kung-fu typing!

> This guy's wife, a lawyer we'll call "Kathy Raymond," didn't start using
> Linux until OpenOffice hit Build 641 and got fairly usable. She wasn't
> going to mess with emacs, either.

Ugh - I remember building one of the first OO builds from source. Ugly.
Took about a week on my old machine, too.

> But there's still a lot of developer arrogance out there -- just as
> there are a lot of users who get nasty/accusing when asking for help or
> filing bug reports instead of being helpful/constructive.

I know, I see them on IRC, disbursing such tidbits of wisdom as, "RTFM
DUMBASS," and, "rm -rf / will fix it, but you have to be root."

Levi