Re: [SLUG] Re: The potential of collaborative documentation (was:Roblimo Linux)

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 13:49:08 EDT

On Thursday 22 May 2003 16:12, Austin Theen wrote:
> > I've completely automated a usenet feed from alt.binaries.anime.* that
> > grabs everything, parchive fixes, rar extracts, cleans filenames, and
> > deposits neatly in a playing queue. This in the past week or so. The goal
> > is to make this directory browseable via Freevo/Mythtv on the same box
> > (that, and MAME).
>
> First, Congrats! Second, that's just what I need! What are the chances
> of it being posted somewhere?

It's AUB, with a filter hook for multipart archives and some post-processing
scripts that run via cron to collect, repair, extract, and clean up
afterward. They're rather nasty hacks at the moment, but they do seem to work
ok for me.

> > http://www.animemetro.com/metroconventions/
> >
> > Yeah, this is my latest geeking project. See what I do in my "free" time?
> > :)
>
> Sounds like fun; need any help?

Roy and Amy are actively looking for volunteers now. Drop them a note, I'm
sure they'll welcome the help.

> I've got my home setup right now to capture cartoon network into divx so
> I can play it downstairs on my QCast Tuner. I just need to setup a way
> to automate the recording process within the ps2 frontend. Or I guess I
> can put the linux/pvr at the tv but that doesn't sound as geeky. :/

Heh. Whatever works. How are you liking your QCast? I'd like to hear more
about the interface - how do you browse, etc?

Some of the Anime arrives in some QCast unfriendly codecs (OGG/OGM, Microsoft
ASF, and even quicktime), but most is Xvid/Dvix and Mpeg2. At worst, you may
need to transcode video files on occasion to stream to your QCast player.

> Loving life watching Cowboy Bebop, Macross Zero, Gundam X

/me waits in anticipation for Last Exile episode 6....

--
- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>

(This message bound by the following: http://www.nks.net/email_disclaimer.html)