Re: [SLUG] OT: Little help?

From: Brad Smith (brad_stephenssmith@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 19:01:23 EDT

--- Kenneth W Hansen <khansen46@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is this pretty much a national trend, ir is it more so
> in this part of the country?
>
> Ken

I know that it's no better in California. I had the (mis)fortune of doing my first real
career-oriented job searching during the height of the tech boom. It has only in the last year or
two sunk in that it was unusual to be flooded with job offers within a week of putting out a
resume with the word 'internet' on it. =;)

In fact, I'm guessing that the silicon valley is worse off than most other places because not only
are there fewer jobs, when something does open up, there's a valley full of people with 10+ years
of experience to compete with. I have a pretty good looking resume... for a 25 year old. Out here
I just can't compete.

As for low-paying jobs, yeah, a fellow I met through the Tampa area slashdot meetup board
mentioned a job as a freebsd admin... for $12/hr. I jumped on the opportunity, though. Right now
an interesting job that pays the bills (hopefully we'll have two incomes) is all I'm looking for.

Thanks a ton to everybody who's been supportive or even concerned. I realy appreciate it.

--Brad