Re: [SLUG] Moving from RR Cable to Verizon DSL = mucho easy

From: marrandy (marrandy@chaossolutions.org)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 09:08:02 EDT

On Thursday 29 May 2003 08:04 am, you wrote:
> > Just curious...but how did they think you were stealing cable
> > services? Did you wind up having to pay the triplified bill?
> > Was it just out of the blue?

<snip>

> "basic-basic". I didn't care; I was moving in a week anyway. :-) We were
> never backbilled. We have DirecTV in the house (mainly because it was $20
> for the dish and installation combined through Amazon.com at the time if we
> signed up for a year, which expired in February).

So you received a tripled bill but you wern't backbilled ?

Isn't that close to being the same thing, albeit, a limited (3-month) period.

> > Now if there were only a sure fire way to
> > kill pop ups and spam it'd be perfect....
>
> To kill popups, use Netscape 7 or Mozilla.

Or Konqueror. Nearly all popups are javascript. Konqueror has allow, ask,
deny & smart settings. Smart works really well. My wife now hates her
office computer (win-98) as it's so inflexible.
Her only complaint on Linux (Mandrake), is the time to boot and shutdown. But
she's learn't to switch it on and go away for a minute.

> To kill spam takes a little more effort. :-)
>
> SWB

If you have your own mail server, it's pretty easy.

If it's just a workstation then you're relying on your providers solution.
you could encourage them to use spamhaus RBL and create their own IP blocking
listing.

Depends how receptive they are.

Regards...Martin

--
If I have to lay an egg for my country, I'll do it.
		-- Bob Hope