RE: [SLUG] Moving from RR Cable to Verizon DSL = mucho easy

From: Steven Buehler (sbuehle1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 08:04:23 EDT

> Just curious...but how did they think you were stealing cable
> services? Did you wind up having to pay the triplified bill?
> Was it just out of the blue?

Time Warner (now Bright House) routinely does community audits to make sure
that customers are receiving the correct services that they are paying for
and that others are not receiving cable services that they did not sign up
or pay for.

I received a visit from Time Warner a week or so before we moved out of our
apartment. The management provides free basic-basic cable (meaning local
channels only), but for some reason we had the standard basic package (all
but pay channels) the entire time we lived in the apartment, because the
previous residents had it and Time Warner never changed it back. Time
Warner apparently did an audit in the community and came to our door
advising us that we were getting service we were not supposed to have and
advised us that they were downgrading the service to our apartment to the
"basic-basic". I didn't care; I was moving in a week anyway. :-) We were
never backbilled. We have DirecTV in the house (mainly because it was $20
for the dish and installation combined through Amazon.com at the time if we
signed up for a year, which expired in February).

> Now if there were only a sure fire way to
> kill pop ups and spam it'd be perfect....

To kill popups, use Netscape 7 or Mozilla.

To kill spam takes a little more effort. :-)

SWB