Re: [SLUG] Moving from RR Cable to Verizon DSL = mucho easy

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 12:12:24 EDT

On Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 10:49AM -0400, Levi Bard wrote:
> >> To kill spam takes a little more effort. :-)
> > If you have your own mail server, it's pretty easy.
> >
> > If it's just a workstation then you're relying on your providers solution.
> > you could encourage them to use spamhaus RBL and create their own IP
> > blocking
> > listing.
>
> Many clients (example: Sylpheed) are beginning to support client-level
> filtering as well. I'm not wild about RBLs. Many of them block entire ip
> areas because they're labelled as dynamic, and there are legitimate
> situations where a mailserver would be in one of these blocks.

Yeah. Like the fact that the Mutt email client likes to send mail via
the localhost smtp server.

This email brought to you by a dynamic IP. :)

AOL does blocking of dynamic emails, and as a result I have
to use Mozilla Mail to send email to aol.com adresses. It stinks.

--
Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink
that they may live.