Re: [SLUG] Moving from RR Cable to Verizon DSL = mucho easy

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 13:16:24 EDT

Dylan William Hardison wrote:

> Yeah. Like the fact that the Mutt email client likes to send mail via
> the localhost smtp server.
>
> This email brought to you by a dynamic IP. :)
>
> AOL does blocking of dynamic emails, and as a result I have
> to use Mozilla Mail to send email to aol.com adresses. It stinks.

It looks like you're using postfix:

Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 12:12:24 -0400
From: Dylan William Hardison <dylanwh@tampabay.rr.com>

So am I. I was getting this in /var/log/maillog:

Apr 20 05:02:30 greta postfix/smtp[9126]: connect to
mailin-01.mx.aol.com[205.188.156.122]: server refused mail service (port 25)

You can send mail to aol.com addresses with the transport maps feature.

In /etc/postfix/main.cf add a line turning on transport maps if it is
not already there, like this:

My server uses hash. To see which formats your server supports you can
run "postconf -m". On Linux, you'll probably use hash.

Then add a tranport map for aol.com to /etc/postfix/transport by adding
a line like this:

aol.com smtp:smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com

The /etc/postfix/transport file in a default install will just have the
contents of the tranport (5) man page. It's a config file full of #
comments. This might be the first real configuration line you put in
it. Be sure to use the correct SMTP server name for your ISP.

Then run "postmap /etc/postfix/transport" to activate the transport map
for aol.com. Then run "postfix reload" to make it read the new config.
      Mail going to an aol.com address will be relayed through your
RoadRunner/BrightHouse or whatever ISP's SMTP server. It will trust
your server to relay mail because you are a customer in the network of
the ISP. AOL will accept mail from it because your ISPs SMTP server is
not blocked by AOL like your home, dynamic IP addy is. AOL is the only
ISP I know of who is a pain like this. I originally asked Roblimo if he
was running any servers because I have heard that with Verizon it can be
a pain to get your server to send mail out of their network. AOL is a
pain to get mail into, at least from a dynamic broadband IP addy.

hth,

Greg