Re: [SLUG] Novell disputes SCO's claims

From: sbuehle1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 15:11:34 EDT

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Derek Glidden wrote:

> There are a LOT of companies lining up to file lawsuits against SCO for
> harming their business by making these allegations and not backing them
> up. Add on to that, probably anyone who ever bought Caldera Linux, and
> lots of Linux users as well. At this point, it's not clear that SCO has
> any semblance of sanity left to them; it's hard to figure out just what
> they had hoped to accomplish with these actions.

The consensus among the industry analysts is that SCO is strapped for
funds, and they're hoping that they can get someone (perhaps IBM) to
either buy them off or buy them out, and the suit is their way of getting
attention. They're hoping a bigger company like IBM or Microsoft would be
frustrated enough to just flex their big wallets and "do the Borg
Thing(tm)" by buying them out.

Considering that Apple's latest OS is UNIX-based, it wouldn't surprise me
if Apple takes a hard look at making an "investment" as well.

What would really make me giggle is if AT&T, with its lean and healthy
balance sheet and wads of cash available, has AT&T Labs buy back System V.
:-)

Steven W. Buehler | <steven@sanctuaryweb.org>
Web: <http://www.sanctuaryweb.org>
Music: <http://renaitre.iuma.com>
Sent using Mandrake Linux 9.1 via Connectix Virtual PC