Re: [SLUG] SCO controversy - but funny this time.

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 18:16:18 EDT

Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
> Greg Schmidt wrote:

>>> A light-hearted view...
>>>
>>> http://www.arie.org/doh/
>>>
>> It appears his box got cracked and his home page defaced. It's not
>> exactly family-hour viewing. Seems they left his SCO rant alone.
>
> Heh. His home page is *open*! Anyone can edit it. Heck, I just did
> myself...
>
> -Robin

I hate guessing in public, but my guess is this. His box really was
cracked. The edit-this-page "feature" on his home page was not put
there by him. (It would seem to require a fluency in HTML that was not
evident in his SCO/Dukes of Hazzard story.) Maybe 30 minutes ago I
started getting:

Forbidden

while attempting to reload the home page (and see whatever whoever had
put there last), but his cute SCO editorial was still working. Just now
his SCO story was forbidden too. whois seems to indicate that he's
hosted on pair.com. netcraft.com says he's running apache 1.3.27 on
FreeBSD. A traceroute to arie.org hits a pairnet router right before a
blind hop and then responds. I think a tech at pair.com might be taking
some action, or he got thoroughly rooted for some other nefarious
purpose, or a sudden spike in popularity of his site shut it down
/.-like, or maybe some poor guy is in panic mode trying to figure out
how to regain control of his site, if he can still log into it. Since
he had unflattering things to say about SCO and MS we could start a
bunch of wile consipracy theories. :) I could be wrong.