Re: [SLUG] Oddity in new box

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 10:05:35 EDT

The flashing lights you experience are from your Linux kernel.

In newer 2.4 and 2.5 kernels, the LED lights on your keyboard are flashed
after a kernel panic. At this point, your system probably becomes
un-responsive. You can use the SysRq-S/U/B sequence to sync, unmount, and
reboot your box if the kernel was built with SysRq support and your kernel
isn't too far gone.

In the newest kernels, you can enable morse-code patterns to decipher exactly
what caused the system panic (in the event that you cannot see the panic
message on your screen).

- Ian