Re: [SLUG] laptop recommendations

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 21:03:41 EDT

>Are there any recommendations out
>there? Obviously I'd like to have a dual boot system to satisfy some of
>my course requirements of @ school - but it's primarily for Java
>programming and Web Development - maybe a bit of C coding in the near
>future...

I'd say Thinkpads are probably the best bet overall, and some of the new
ones are $1000 - $1300 for decent specs. Corporately, VA has had best
luck/durability from Thinkpads, and they are the most Linux-compatible
ones as a rule. Quite simply, Thinkpads outlast all others we've tried
under hard use.

Sager, as Russ mentions, has some decent stuff.

I currently have a Toshiba Satellite 1410 because it had unbeatable
features for under $1200 (CD/RW/DVD drive, big HD, etc.) and I get wrist
and hand pains if I use the Thinkpad-style pointer sticks all day.
(Touchpads are the kindest pointing device of all for me, therefore my
preference.) The Satellite 14xx and 24xx series have two "known"
problems that seem to have been solved in the latest XWindow so I
haven't seen them. And modem - there's drivers around for the one I
have, but since I have several PCMCIA modems already, I haven't felt
like bothering.

Check what's on sale where. CDW sometimes has some good specials. That's
where I got the Satellite.

- Robin