Re: [SLUG] Capturing /dev/tty1A informaiont (help Ian)

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 08:26:51 EDT

This sounds like you are trying to do this all in software,
but if you have access to the ASCII data on a RS232 connnecton
(i.e. at the physical layer) you might be able to use a bridge
tap across the RD and SG lines (sounds like you only need
to look at incoming data) and feed that to another device
running minicom/tinyterm on its own RS232 port and just
keep a capture buffer open to collect the data. Using a bridge
tap is, I think, out of spec but I've done it; the +12 and -12 V
for mark and space are pretty forgiving and at this low speed
double-termination echoes aren't a problem. -Bob F
 PS - a bridge tap has to be built by you. CompUSA doesn't
carry anything like this.