Re: [SLUG] New Job on Slug Job Page

From: Timothy L. Jones (tim@timjones.com)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 17:30:02 EDT

Agreed wholeheartedly... I developed for and supported SCO 3 through 5.0.4
during my years at Transportation Systems Consultants (http://tsc-corp.com,
roughly 1992 to 1997) running a very technical aviation maintenance software
suite. The man in charge over there (not naming names) would dutifully lap
up anything SCO or Compaq people would say, and saddle us with more SCOs on
Proliant. The most trouble free configuration the customers ever there had
were definitely multi-CPU Sequents and Sparcs. (this is before any of the
big DBMSs were ported to Linux, otherwise, I would have them there!)

Any Unix where you have to relink the KERNEL to add a second disk is seriously
whacked... (never got into Unixware much, just the OpenServer junk). Anyone
remember changing the mtune and stune files so that the serial device
wouldn't drop characters at speed higher than 9600? (back when having a 16550
UART was bleeding edge).

I hated SCO from the very beginning... The first offense for me was them
sticking with Microsoft C compilers that would map 0x0000 to an area
containing the characters "<null>" instead of making the binary dump upon
null dereference like all other compilers do. Or was it charging extra for C
compilers to begin with (because C compilers were a God-given inalienable
RIGHT with Unix before then!) Or maybe it was being dead-last to adopt the
ELF binary format over COFF? (too many to mention, I guess - it doesn't
matter now)...

And all this was before their Linux "phase" and LONG before their current
shakedown tactics.

I did like 'scowm' for it's multi-desktop window manager, though...

If T3T would drop the SCO for (at least for new installations), I could be
interested in the job too...

tlj