Re: [SLUG] Help with Dual Boot Installation

From: SpamFree (SpamFree@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jun 14 2003 - 22:18:51 EDT

On Saturday June 14 2003 10:01 pm, you wrote:
> Here is the contents of my /etc/grub.conf file:
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Notes that you do not need to rerun grub after making changes to this
> file # NOTICE : You have a /boot partition. this means that
> # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/,
> eg. # root (hd1,0)
> # kernel /vmlinuz-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=1
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hdl1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
> root (hd1,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/
> initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img
> title DOS
> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> chainloader +1
>
> If I can somehow retrieve my windows setup I will remove that
> disk and then practice on installing Linux until I get the feel of it.
>
> -Michael

For some reason, GRUB is not able to access the splash screen image file
located at (hdl1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz Perhaps it actually exists in
(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

What ever the reason is, I can offer a work around. Simply remove the
splashimage line from your grub.conf and the menu should work as expected. Of
course you will only have a boring black background but, you should be use to
that from your experience with the Microsoft bootloader menu.