Re: [SLUG] DSL Home Networking NOOB

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 12:28:01 EDT

> Okay so I'm finally getting Verizon DSL, and I need help setting up a
> network. This is what I want to do:
> DSL --> red hat 9 firewall/router --> ethernet hub --> 2 or three
> computers
>
> What do I need to install/configure to make the red hat 9
> firewall/router, and can I use an old 486DX (50Mhz) box, or should I use
> a more modern box?
>
> Also I know I could just use smoothwall or go get a linksys router. but
> i wanna learn how this stuff works.
>
> Any info is very much appreciated

Your 486 will work fine, as long as you don't install the GUI, or at least
not a GNOME/KDE GUI. That is almost identical to my network setup, and I
had for a long time a 486SX/25 as my router. Redhat 9 comes with all
sorts of GUI tools for administering your routing rules, but IMHO the best
way to do it is to handwrite an iptables script. The syntax isn't
difficult, there's a good howto at
http://www.linuxguruz.com/iptables/howto/ , and you shouldn't have many
rules to keep straight unless you're running a very complex network.
Additionally, I can give you a simplified copy of my iptables script if
you'd like.

Levi