[SLUG] finding a device attachment

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 15:50:32 EDT

I'm having trouble finding where new hardware attaches to a software
system/kernel. I use mental logic, but when does one know where a piece of
hardware attaches itself? For example, when I attached my external CD
writer, I knew it *probably* would attach, although via USB, to the first
SCSI CD device (/dev/scd0). Now, I have a floppy tape drive (installed
during power-off), and I have no idea where it went or if there are drivers
loaded at all. What logic/knowledge do you use to find which DEVice has been
occupied with your new hardware?

/mario