Re: [SLUG] Migration of Office from Windows to Linux?

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 16:26:16 EDT

Just my .02: I haven't attempted this on such a scale myself; but I did
almost drive my former tech director nuts after he said I could have a
linux workstation in a completely windows company. If I had to run lots
of mandatory windows programs on linux, I'd probably use one of these
distributions: http://www.netraverse.com/ or
http://www.xandros.com/ which contain some windows emulation goodies
built in. I never got the Ximian Exchange Connector to function in a
reasonably acceptable way as far as scheduling appointments with Windows
users, so hopefully that functionality has improved recently.
Crossover's Powerpoint viewer is worthless IMO, but so is Powerpoint
itself ;). I very rarely get pdfs that I can't open with linux
programs, especially not with Adobe Acrobat's more recent linux
versions. Good luck finding a MS Access drop-in replacement. I think
Codeweavers is working on bundling that with their latest Crossover
Office support. You could try StarOffice's "Adabas" database, but I
don't know how it works or if can open Access files. If I had to deal
with this problem, I'd migrate any new Access projects to MYSQL and use
their new Control Center GUI to manipulate tables, etc.. As far as
accounting applications, as a former finance director, I would be very
loathe to even attempt to emulate a for-windows software package under
linux. It's hard enough to get accounting software to function even in
it's native environment and I feel that a linux migration to accounting
should be done very carefully and probably last. I would not be alive
today if I attempted to migrate my staff to linux accounting software.
If you can't wait, I would either get some native linux accounting
software (good thing you probably don't need fund accounting software
for linux), or run it under VMWare which is super costly, or best of
all, get some web-based accounting software that the accounting staff
accesses through a browser, which I'm seeing more and more of (and
allows purchase orders and reimbursement requests to be sent via
email). Oracle's got some good web-based accounting software which they
acquired from netledger.com and improved. Hope this helps in some way...
-eric